The Norms of Alabama



Since moving to Alabama I have found there are several norms here that I had never heard of before coming to this area. My favorite one of those is the Trade Day. I had absolutely no idea what this was when Ben told me about it, but it really is an experience to say the least! Trade Days happen on the weekend and in some towns only certain weekends of the month. Fortunately for my junk loving husband, we have two trade days nearby each weekend - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Yay for us!

Trade Day is a huge yard sale. Now, this is not the kind of yard sale that makes my heart go pitter patter because they have great furniture and antiques. No, this is more of the animals, socks, tools, anything you can think of that you don't really need, but someone is out there selling for a fabulous deal. Trade Day doesn't last all day. You have to wake up at the crack of dawn and take the small road trip to whichever Trade Day you want to go to. There is a restaurant (and I use the term restaurant very loosely) that sells biscuits starting at 4:30 am! I have never gotten there that early, but Ben has dragged me out of bed to go there before 7 o'clock. We usually go later, but most people are packing it up by then.

(This is my mom saying "Oh My. Look at all that junk!")

We took my parents to see this event. They were quite impressed with our little event. My dad actually went to both of them! I don't think I have ever gotten anything at Trade Day. Ben gets tools and such, but I guess it's just fun to look.

Need about 500 pairs of socks? Go to Trade Day!

This is Ben's mecca. All of these tools are sold by the pound and they have every type of nut, bolt, nail, and screw that you can imagine. They are dirt cheap and the man runs this place knows where every single one of them can be found.

They have plenty of chickens there too! It's fun to look at them, but they are mostly roosters and older chickens. I may have to take my roosters down there because my husband is dead set of thinning out the rooster crowd by making chicken and dumplings!! No thank you.

Need a miniature horse or three? Go to Trade Day!

They even sell pigs! (I took this one for my sister.)

No gun trading on the grounds. Don't even think about it.

They have plenty of fresh produce as well. They have several latino markets with really interesting produce.

And your everyday tomato/cantaloupe/watermelon market too!

If you are ever in Alabama and close to a Trade Day, go check it out. You might even find a hidden treasure amidst all the other stuff!

Unknown (October 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM)  

Whatever you do, do not take MiMi! I'm sure Daddy, Aunt Jan, Aunt Susan and Vaughn will agree that she needs no more junk! :) Looks like fun! Find me some tables to refinish and send them south!

Molly @ View From a Saddle (October 7, 2010 at 12:19 PM)  

and find me some old chairs that I can paint bright colors for pictures!! :)

Pigs are precious. They look like blue butts but they were probably most likely pot bellies. They have bigger heads. :)

And um ponies!!! That's when you should have thought about me.. haha! Three or FOUR! There was a bad pony that had to stay in the trailer...

See you this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous –  (October 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM)  

How fun!!!! I bet there are all kinda of treasures there. :)

Ashlee (October 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM)  

I'm missin' out! I have lots of junk to get rid of. And just so you know, I was expecting some pictures of canned potatoes on this post....

Linsey (October 8, 2010 at 7:44 AM)  

Oh, the potatoes are coming!!

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!