The Un Gardeners

There is nothing that puts a smile on my face quicker than beautiful Spring flowers popping their sweet little faces up this time of year. I love them so much that I even crawled around in my yard and snapped some photos of my gorgeous bulbs making their way out. I had this bright, happy post planned out in my head and it was going to express my happiness for my flowers and the following images:





Ok. I love, love, love, love, love ranunculus. I love them so much that they were on the top of my list of wedding flowers, however, we could not get them because their blooming season do not coincide with my wedding date. I was a little bummed, but it was ok. Imagine my glee when I was walking out of Home Depot two weekends ago and they had these beauties for $4.99. I was ecstatic!


After about twenty minutes of deliberation on the which pot was the perfect pot to bring home and to my mother-in-law, I finally loaded them in the car.  I could hardly wait to get them home to my mother-in-law because Ben was not feeling my ranunculus excitement.


I have babied these flowers, brought them in when it was cold, loved them, taken pictures of them. Sheer bliss.



Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. I look outside and my chickens (that I have discovered I don't love so much anymore) were on the porch (that I have just bleached). I go outside to shoo them off and find them in sheer bliss as well.


Here are my beloved ranunculus. Or what is left of them. I may or may not have cried when I saw the devastation. I blame that on the hormones.


This is not the first time something like this has happened. 

I had a beautiful pot of succulents. Gone.

Most of my snowflake flowers. Gone. 

My pine straw in my flower beds.


Mayhem. 

It's a good thing they are giving me fabulous eggs because we almost had chicken and dumplings for supper. No hormones involved with this one. Please pray for the safety of my chickens.


And the rapid recovery of my ranunculus.

Unknown (March 29, 2011 at 6:46 AM)  

Oh Lin, that is terrible!!! This is a GREAT post, I giggled...needed that this AM! Those flowers will rebound!

Ashlee (March 29, 2011 at 10:09 AM)  

Although i'm really sorry for your ranunculas, i'm laughing really hard at the way you've told the story!

Molly @ View From a Saddle (April 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM)  

Oh no. Poor flowers!!!

bad chickens....
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!


(I Think you could pull off that whole queen of hearts role!)

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!