It's Official!


I'm a chicken mommy!
We are proud to say that we now are the proud parents of 19 baby chicks.


We had about half of the eggs hatch, and unfortunately, we have lost three along the way.


One of those was one of our four "special chicks", dubbed Leonard. Of course, Ben came up with this name. He couldn't walk straight and turned in circles when he tried to walk. Ben thought it was quite humorous. Me, not so much! We still have one Leonard that is not walking well, but the other two chicks, with the help of a bandaid, are doing great.

This little lady had a non responsive leg when she was born, but now she is walking like a champ.

Of course, we aren't going to keep all of these chicks. My coop is pretty large, but I think it will max out at 15 or 16 chickens. I would like to have several different breeds, so I will only keep 5 or 6 of these babies.

I have found that you can tell by some of their markings if they are males or females. I don't know how accurate this is, but they are supposed to be girlies if they have dark legs.

I think this little chica, is in fact, a chica! I think!

Also during my research, I discovered that I think my Dominique chickens may be Barred Rocks. They are confused often, and I think my chicken man may have been confused!!

This is the Dominique (or Dominecker)
http://www.purelypoultry.com/images/chickens/dominique.jpg

This is the Barred Rock
IPB Image

Not much difference, huh?

So my little ones are six days old, very messy, loud, and have already moved out of the house! They now reside in the garage. Those little independent chickies!

Hard to tell, but they are getting feathers too!

GT (August 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM)  

We'll put the ones you don't keep in with the doves. They should be about the same size by then. Nobody will know (for sure).

CHERI (August 31, 2010 at 6:27 PM)  

Your babies are cute! Johnny laughed at the bandaid! I got "tagged" by another blogger and then had to "tag" others, so I chose you. Go to my blog post for today and see, but don't feel you have to participate if you don't want to or don't have time! Hope to see you soon...and, of course, that "too cute" Ben!

Anonymous –  (September 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM)  

Woohoo! Chicks are so cute!

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!