Big Chicks

I have been a slacker about posting pictures of my now quite large chickens. They have come a long way from the incubator! As of right now, I have 18 chicks in the chicken house. The roosters have found their voices and they like them!

These are my Rooster boys. There are five - which is causing some problems - more on that later!

Here is one of my sweet girls. They are a good bit small than their male counterpart....

Here is a comparison of the two.





Here is my one Welsummer hen. I call her Little Girl. I don't know why - maybe it's because out of the ten Welsummer babies I bought, nine of them were roosters!

And the most exciting news of all is that they are now laying eggs!!! 



They are pretty small in comparison to a large store bought egg. They are pretty lost in the carton, but I have high hopes that they will grow with time.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to taste my wonderful eggs. Being the wonderful chicken parents that we are, Ben and I continued to feed our sweet chicks their starter food that, unbeknownst to me, has antibiotics in it. Ben was so thrilled to tell our friend at the feed store that we had our first egg and that we needed more feed for our hungry chickens. When he learned we were still doing starter food I got a frantic phone call from Ben saying "DON'T EAT THE EGG!!!!!" Apparently it is not a good idea for pregnant women to consume the eggs with antibiotics, so I have them as my little trophy's right now. Only my Domineckers are laying right now - my Welsummers will lay a dark brown egg and the Ameraucaunas will lay a blue egg. I can't wait for both of those!

Unknown (January 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM)  

Your chickens are beautiful, Lin!! I love their coloring!

CHERI (January 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM)  

Glad you found out before you ate the eggs. Can't wait to hear what the baby will be:)

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!