Trust Me

Since it is cooler this weekend, it would be an excellent time to try this recipe. You must cook it before it gets too warm for soup. Trust me. It's that good. I have been in a hump lately and have been searching for new recipes to try. I feel like I serve Ben the same things over and over again so I have been trying to step outside of my box and try new recipes. This was super easy to make and I didn't have all the ingredients that the original Southern Living recipe called for so I just compromised and it tasted just fine.

Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup
Image via Southern Living


2  (6-oz.) packages long-grain and wild rice mix
10  cup  chicken broth, divided
3  tablespoons  butter
1  cup  sliced fresh mushrooms
1  cup  chopped onion
1  cup  chopped celery (I didn't have celery so I left it out)
1/4  cup  butter
1/2  cup  all-purpose flour
1/2  cup  milk (I used skim - original recipe calls for half and half)
2  cups  cooked shredded chicken breasts

1. Bring rice, 4 cups chicken broth, and 1 seasoning packet from rice mix to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. (Reserve remaining seasoning packet for another use.)

2. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, and celery, and cook, stirring often, 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.

3. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute, or until thickened and bubbly. Gradually whisk in remaining 6 cups broth, and cook, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in milk. Stir in mushroom mixture, chicken, and rice. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) 

Ben is not a brothy soup person and this is right up his alley. It is more like a casserole in a bowl rather than a soup and is it delish! Try it!

Unknown (March 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM)  

That looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

AA (March 8, 2011 at 1:28 PM)  

Looks amazing- rice, mushrooms and chicken. Some of my favorite items! Thanks!

swevans81 (March 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM)  

Think I'm going to have to try this!!

Your brother –  (March 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM)  

Mushrooms are POISON!

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!