Me and Kate Gosselin

After much begging, pleading, and reminding Ben that Ashlee's husband got her chickens, he finally caved. I "received" chickens for my birthday and I thought it would be much like the rest of my IOU birthday presents - nonexistent. However, Ben pulled through on the birthday present and got me some chickens!

I was flipping channels last night and spotted Kate Plus 8 and couldn't resist checking it out. Ironically, Kate was boasting about her new chicken coop and her chickens. I used to like Kate on the old show and sympathized with her a wee bit. However last night, she was on a rampage! And most importantly, what is up with that hair?!? Back to the chickens. Kate's chickens are already laying eggs.

Mine look like this.

Yes, I am incubating eggs.

No, I didn't magically photoshop this picture and make you think there are more than there are.

Yes, there are 42 eggs.

No, you didn't read that wrong. Forty two. F-o-r-t-y t-w-o. Count them.
Forty two. FORTY TWO.

Never one to do anything half way, my husband thought forty two sounded like a safe number for me to mother for the next 21 days. Apparently, the likelihood that all of them will hatch is slim to none, and this mother hen is going to feel like a failure. There will also be some roosters in there too. My luck, I will have forty two roosters waking me up at the first sight of daybreak. My neighbors are going to love me!!!

I just hope I can be a successful incubator mother. I already forgot to turn them last night. They have to be turned twice a day, at the same time every day. They are quite the demanding little eggs. For now they are set at a cozy 99.5 degrees and waiting to hatch.

Hopefully by the end of this I will have some chickens that look like this:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhxXqb3CR1Iidi9PHqb1pcWAemhCFQtEKSUn31dHd-7nh-F6Kg3fk8pbEJe_7UXPt7Wu6A4iijh1fAz2nY6fRDqt0AVBqJbfnF_5PLkzYZ1Nh3iVyaVIVce8TPHKAH9hSodgycF9hw43s1e/s200/dominique+chicken.jpg

Stay tuned. Hopefully this will not end in tragedy!

Jan (August 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM)  

I am rolling on the floor laughing at this post! Hank was reading it with me and you even got him tickled!! Can't wait to hear about the baby chicks...I know someone who needs a rooster :(...poor Bert. I guess Ash told you she is letting Bert's wife sit on a few she has laid. Maybe one will be a rooster. How long does it take to become a mama???

Anonymous –  (August 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM)  

Good luck with the chickens! :) I'm with you on Kate's hair...

CHERI (August 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM)  

What is it with you McCord gals and chickens??? Come to Fitzgerald and we'll see if we can trap all these that have found their way in our yard this summer. We do NOT like them!!! Or course, I'm sure domesticated chickens would be much better...at least you can use their eggs!

Ashlee (August 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM)  

Linnie, you'll be a great chicken mom!

AA (August 12, 2010 at 7:11 AM)  

That is soo fun! I cant wait to see how they do. Good luck!

Unknown (August 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM)  

Linsey- They make an automatic egg turner. My husband is a pro at incubating eggs. It looks like an oversized egg carton, and has a motor attatched that turns the eggs (very slowly) throughout the day. It saves alot of trips to the incubator to turn them and its better for the eggs because the temperature inside the incubator stays more constant because you aren't opening it up and letting cold air in to turn them! Hope this helps!

Katie Beth

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!