Tequila-Lime-Coconut Macaroon Bars

We had a family reunion this past weekend and I made sure that I asked Ben what we wanted to eat since I usually make what sounds good to me! I was flipping through this month's Southern Living and when I saw these, I knew they would be Ben-approved. Tequila, lime, coconut macaroons - this was definitely a Ben recipe! I whipped this up the morning of and they were easy to make and the cleanup was a breeze due to baking them in a tin foil lined baking dish. These would be the perfect ending to a Summer BBQ!

Tequila-Lime-Coconut Macaroon Bars

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons tequila
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Garnishes: powdered sugar, lime rind curls

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing 2 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil.
  • 2. Stir together 1 3/4 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan.
  • 3. Bake at 350° for 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • 4. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a medium bowl until smooth; whisk in coconut, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar. Stir together baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup flour; whisk into egg mixture. Pour over hot crust.
  • 5. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Lift from pan, using foil sides as handles. Remove foil, and cut into bars. Garnish, if desired.
  • (recipes and photo via Southern Living)

John McCord (April 21, 2011 at 6:38 AM)  

Sounded so good until the coconut part! ;)

Linsey (April 21, 2011 at 8:03 AM)  

I know, I wasn't really crazy about the coconut, but they were for Ben!

Anonymous –  (April 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM)  

Ooo! These look delish!

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!