Yumminess in a Jar

While at my parent's house in Georgia, I was able to pick blueberries to bring home with me. One of my dad's friends has about fifteen blueberry bushes and they were LOADED.


I literally ran my hand down the branch and just put my bucket underneath. It might as well have been Christmas that day (minus the sweltering 100 degree heat index) I was so excited. One of my favorite things about summer produce is making jams and preserves.

Blair got in on the action too and I think she was equally excited about the fact that we were picking blueberries in the blazing sun. She was a good sport about it, but was so excited to get back in the air conditioned car.


She was even generous and gave away some of her loot.



My blueberries now look like this:

and are housed in my precious jars.

I have used this recipe for several years now and have had great success with it!

Wild Blueberry Preserves

4 cups fresh or frozen wild blueberries
4 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Pour half of the blueberries into large Dutch oven; gently mash to just break up. Stir in sugar and remaining blueberries. Heat over low heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Stir in fruit pectin, lemon rind and juice; return to boil.


Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Cover with prepared lids; screw on bands. Boil in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes. Let cool on rack. Check seals. Refrigerate any jars with lids that have not sealed. Store in a cool, dark, dry place for up to 1 year. Makes 4 cups.

I have peach too!!

Molly @ View From a Saddle (July 30, 2010 at 8:06 AM)  

that first picture of Blair is really good!! It's almost like blueberries should be raining down! :)

Anonymous –  (July 31, 2010 at 3:55 PM)  

Oh yum! I made blueberry jam a few weeks ago, unfortunately I didn't get to use fresh blueberries. I had to grab them up at Wally when they were on sell.

Plum Wonderful Momma (August 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM)  

Great recipe! I'm a fellow Alabama resident and I'm new to the blogging world - just thought I'd stop by, say hi and follow!

Post a Comment

I love your comments! I think they are almost as fun as snail mail!!